Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Remember ME? Can You Keep MY Secret?

I am anything but a big fan of stupid chick-lit. I like to indulge every now and then and pick a book that does not have sugar melting down its covers, endless sentences that are variation of "you're the one" and predictable (of course no other than) happy endings. Now, I know that I am reaching for the stars here but I claim it possible.
Sophie Kinsella attracted and lost me with Shopaholic. Because after reading the first in the series, I gave up on the author. I'm a girl, I like fashionable and pretty things. But I can't believe that anyone would be so daft and stupid as to beyond max their credit card for a scarf. Um, no. And if there is such a person, I am not by the least excited to learn more about her and her endless shopping. 
“I've always had this deep-down conviction
that I'm not like everybody else, and
there's an amazingly exciting new life
waiting for me just around the corner.”
And then I was again attracted to her at an airport bookstore by a book called Can You Keep a Secret?. Reeling from the bad experience of Shopaholic I decided against it. Until a friend whose opinion I value and whose tastes run in the same circle, sometime later pushed this book in my hands with words: "You GOTTA read this." So I did and discovered one of the most hilarious books of all times. Yes, chick-lit wise.
By the time Remember Me? came into my hands I was certain that my problem with Ms. Kinsella lies in Rebecca Bloomwood aka The Shopaholic. Or maybe I just like her books that have a question mark in the title? However, I found both (Secret and Remember Me) hilarious and the characters worldly, convincing and (most importantly) the endings not sappy.
In Can You Keep a Secret Emma spills all her secrets to a stranger on a plane when the ride gets bumpy and she gets hysterical. Turns out that telling *everything* to someone next to you on the plane is not a good idea as he can turn out to be the founder of the company you work at. Scared that he will get her fired or she will be in trouble for feeding orange juice to her coworker's plant. Neither as the boss does not want anyone to know he was on that plane. Why? And how on Earth does she keep getting in trouble in front of him? It's funny and hilarious and just a tad suspicious.
“I'm Cinderella. No, I'm better
than Cinderella, because she only
got the prince, didn't she? I'm
Cinderella with fab teeth and a shit-hot job.”
In Remember Me? (which I maybe liked even better) Lexi wakes up in a hospital, convinced she hit her head on the curb while partying out with her friends. When the nruse hands her a Louis Vuitton bag and she sees she is tan, lean and her teeth are fixed, she is more than confused. Welcome to Lexi 2.0! She had an accident in which she lost three years of her life, apparently all her friends and gained a high powered position in her firm, the most gorgeous husband in the world and a bitchy attitude. What the hell happened to her? Discovering herself all over again is hilarious, sometimes painful and more often than not entertaining.
There are certain books that are good but strangely enough the movies turn out to be better. Having caved and watching the Shopaholic movie I am not surprised the sequels weren't made yet. They probably never will. Instead they should make these stories into movies. Because they are smart, appeal to the everywoman and turn out to be quite and very believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...